Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Surgery Day - It's Done!

Well, step 1 is over. I bawled like a baby, as soon as the door closed behind me this morning. OMG, can you believe how much you can love these guys. (I'm sure I am preaching to the choir). I can't tell you how relieved I was to receive that call from the surgeon, Dr. Philibert (who is a very nice man, very patient with an over-anxious mom, LOL).

Webber has come through the surgery fine and is just starting to wake up. Here is the results of his surgery:

They did x-rays before the surgery, it showed swelling and indications of tear, but could not confirm via the x-rays.

Diagnosis: He made a small incision and confirmed that Webber has a partial tear of his cruciate ligament.

He continued with the TPLO.

He confirmed that we made the right decision in going ahead with this surgery.

Prognosis is excellent. As we have caught it before it was completely torn, there is a good chance that, with the re-angling of the tibia it will ensure that will not continue to stress the ligament, and even heal. And in fact, he has better chances of a 100% recovery and it should not be as difficult since he still has some strength in the ligament ... we just made it better.

There was some arthritis already formed, and he will always have that, but it was not much and should not be a concern.

A much relieved Crystal, but I still need to wait to get him home tomorrow. A glass of wine tonite, I think to celebrate and numb ...

No comments: