Sunday, July 1, 2007

Week 2, Day 4 - Happy Canada Day!


Have you ever seen a dog sit like this, he truly thinks he is a person!
As we celebrate our country's independence, we sit here in quiet boredom and celebrate our own little achievements ... another successful, peaceful day with Webber recuperating. Routine is being achieved, and even though Webber thinks he would like to run and play, he seems to know that he's not allowed. In the morning he now does his stretch on the ramp off the bed while I put on his collar. So funny, cause he actually waits for me to get up and put on his lead before heading for the door. What a smart guy!

Medications: Antibiotics are finished thank goodness!
Tramadol: 6:00 AM, 1:30 PM, and 9:30 PM (just before bed).

It's true that they live in the moment. We could certainly learn alot from these wonderful companions. Sometimes I look at him and I feel so bad for doing this, but then he doesn't think that way, does he? He just thinks something hurts and I think I'll lie down now. I do believe that anything that gives them back some of the routine they had before helps them alot.

The only time I really worry right now is after a potty break, he wants to take off and race back to the house, which was what he normally would do pre-surgery. Webber never did like going poop near the house, so we do a short walk to the front of the property. We usually do that twice a day (about 5 minutes or less of walking, and he usually lies down for a rest about half way through, LOL). Otherwise he just goes near the front porch for a pee. We do porch or grass sit for long periods during the day. I have books and chairs all over outside, for whenever he decides it's time to soak up some fresh air. I think this has helped him alot. I let him follow me around the house when I am cooking dinner. Usually he just lies down (not much different than before the surgery) and watches me seeing if there is anything going his way. Poor guy, I can't tell you how many times I have told him to Lay Down Webber. If anything after he will certainly have that command down.

The challenge now as he starts feeling better is to keep him distracted from the fact that he is on a very short tether. Note: He has tested climbing up on the coach (his favourite place), much to his dismay he is not allowed. We've found that a frozen Kong filled with his own version of Rocky Road (fat-free probiotic yogurt with treats ... frozen) is a great distraction at night before we are ready for bed. It's his signal that it's time to settle down and usually konks out right after. Check out Steve's solution to Webber licking at his incision (which he really hasn't done, thank goodness, even after removing the staples).



I have noticed a small 'bump' on his surgery leg ... will need to watch it and if I can get a picture I will try. Just looks weird. Nothing I am sure, but we can't be too careful can we.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Thank you SO much for all this positive stuff. My 13 year old lab mix had his TPLO yesterday and looks almost too good today. He is home and resting FINALLY! We have 3 dogs so I am scared about keeping him from his silly self as he feels better and better. Tough Love and Tender Kisses is my new motto!

I look SO forward to having the good experience that you seem to be the only one writing about.

Chris and Bix (my baby patient)